Here’s my entry for the Beyond the Still competition. My friend Danny wrote this script (he’s currently deployed in Afghanistan), and I directed, filmed, and edited the video and music. Hope you enjoy! If the story doesn’t make much sense, follow the link at the bottom and watch chapters 1-5.
Chapter 6: The Case from Ryan Smith on Vimeo.
This is coming out so soon I can taste it! Unfortunately, I have another video contest deadline a week from Sunday, so I’m going to be out for another week or so… in the meantime, enjoy this Plague Mortar! 😀
The mission is what screwed me over. We decided to do a Battle Mission and Jeffrey complained that he had never gotten to do an ork one, so instead of rolling a D6 on the Orks and Marines chart, we rolled a D3 on the Orks chart. We got their first, crappy mission. Only Fast Attack could start on the board, everything else had to be in reserve. My only Fast Attack was my Baal, and I sure as heck wasn’t going to have it start on the table with nothing else, so I kept it in reserve.
My initial plan was to load up my Storm raven with death company and a death company dreadnought, and to have the Terminators deep strike on the Raven’s locator beacon. The problem with the Raven is that it is not a dedicated transport, so I would need to start the units close to each other and load it on the first turn before it took off. Had we done a regular mission, it would have worked perfectly, because the terminators wouldn’t be able to arrive until turn 2 at the earliest.
Unfortunately, my Baal, Storm Raven, and razorback assault marines arrived on turn 1, my vindicator, rhino tac marines, and death company arrived on turn 2, and my 2 dreadnoughts and terminators showed up on turn 3. Therefore, by the time I saw combat with these guys, it was turn 4 and the orcs were already halfway across the table.
In the end, I killed most of his dudes (the vindicator killed 13 orcs in one shot!), but we ended in a draw.
On the last turn (6), he had a troop deff dread sitting on an objective and I had my tac marines sitting on an objective. His nobs assaulted my tac marines, and they came off the the objective when they piled in (3 1/2 inches away) I managed to drive off the nobs in my turn with a psychic morale check at -2 leadership from my Librarian, but it was too late for my tac marines to get to the objective (except that now that I think about it, they could have run during the shooting phase… DANG IT!!!). He still had 1 objective though, right? WRONG! I flew my storm raven 18 inches to contest the objective, and while I was there I thought, “as long as I’m here, why not take a shot with my machine spirit?” I shot his deff dread with my twin linked las cannon, rolled a penetrating hit, and rolled a SIX!!! So in the end, no one had an objective, thus the tie.
Things I learned:
1. Deff Copters with Buzzsaws and death rokkits are DEADLY!!! They work like space marine bikers and they have two wounds each, so your best bet is to shoot them with something S10 to auto kill them or to charge them with power weapons and lots of attacks.
2. troops, troops, troops!!! I had 1 assault and 1 tac unit. The assault unit was dead by turn 4 (see #1) and the tac unit
was simply not enough to cut the mustard on holding 3 objectives. (death company are troops, but not scoring)
3. I had my initial plan in my head when I started, and I should have adjusted instead of waiting for my reserves to arrive.
4. The Baal Predator rocks! Even with the bad position that it was in (it was alone on one side of the table with the entire ork force running at it), it still managed to do 140pts of damage before it was overtaken.
5. The Magna Grapple is… interesting. I used it on one of my own disabled tanks to try to tank shock the orks that were in front of it. It only moved a couple inches, so no tank shock, but it would have been pretty interesting to see it work like that.
6. Death Company are cool, but they are not invincible. I had 5 death company take out a unit of 25 orks, but only 2 survived, even with 3+ armour and Feel No Pain.
7. The Death Company Dread is not meant to take on units with AV!!! I knew this going into it, and I received a charge from a Deff Dread, which tied up my dread for the rest of the game. Also, even though he gets to re-roll successful wounds as new attacks, I only managed to kill 7 Orks in one round… I was expecting to see a much higher number…
8. Librarian Dreads with Wings of Sanguinus are DEADLY!!! They move like jump pack troops!